Thursday, October 16th, 2008 - 1:14 pm

16 Oct

I’m cleaning up my study at the moment and organising the many bills and statements into logical piles so I can put them in my new drop-file cabinet from Ikea. 🙂 I came across this wonderful poem that I received many years ago from a fellow Christian in the same department when I was still in Citibank Jakarta. It’s almost like the Christian version of my favourite poem ‘If’ by Rudyard Kipling. I don’t know who wrote this poem but I thought I should share it with you. It gives me encouragement in my current situation as well.

Depend on MeJonathan Michaels, Robert Mason

When the hope you had has disappeared
And you have lost your will to try,
And you think your ship has just come in
But it keeps on passing by;
When you have almost gained the victory,
And you have left the rest behind,
And the marathon has slowed its pace
As you reached the finish line,
And you round the final corner, but you fall,
Depend on Me

When your life is filled with emptiness
And your friends have said goodbye,
And the hill becomes a mountain
As your troubles multiply;
When your trials get too much to bear,
And you are standing all alone,
And the feeling way down deep inside
Is the worst you have ever known,
And you need someone to count on,
But no one’s there,
Depend on Me

Depend on Me,
When the world has let you down
Depend on Me,
When you feel you are losing ground
Depend on Me,
When your love has been denied,
When you have lost your earthly pride,
You can depend on Me.

Tags
, ,
Comments rss Comments rss
Trackback Trackback
Like the entry? Spread the word!
Del.icio.us (0)
Digg
StumbleUpon
Reddit
Dzone

18 Comments

• Larry Bostic
    November 13th, 2009 at 9:06 am

Unbelievable that you have this. This “Poem” was a song written in 1981 by Jonathan Michaels. I have the first page of the song, but I have searched the internet all over trying to find the rest of the pages. I sang this for a talent contest in my church in 1982, and I would love to sing it again. Drop me a line if you ever find music. It was a great song, still is, and just as good, as a poem. God Bless!

• fuzz
    November 14th, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Larry! I’ll keep my eyes open!

• Larry Lewis
    October 1st, 2010 at 4:48 am

I am trying to find the song too – my sister has the cassette – I used to sing this song ALL the time in the early 80s – so if anyone knows who recorded it that would be great.

• Gary Whitlock
    October 5th, 2010 at 12:58 am

Friends,

I composed the music for this song, “Depend on Me” and co-wrote the lyrics along with a gentleman named Robert Mason. In those days I used my pen name, Jonathan Michaels.

It was originally recorded by the Sharretts, and later by Tom Netherton on the Word Records music label.

I had been going through a really tough time emotionally, and I needed to feel like God was there for me, so I used the metaphor of a runner going down to the finish line and feeling like they just couldn’t make it (and of course, God enters to bring the needed encouragement!).

If you’d like to chat more about this, feel free to email me at:

brandlogic@earthlink.net

Regards,

-Gary Whitlock

• fuzz
    October 5th, 2010 at 8:35 am

Thank you for the extra information, gentlemen! I have been blessed by the lyric – I wish I could also hear the song now.

@Gary: Thank you for leaving a comment in my blog as the co-author of the song and as the composer. I’m honoured! 🙂

• Jenn
    November 25th, 2010 at 5:21 am

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for these posts. My family and I were missionaries in the Philippines and sang this song many times, and have continued to sing it around the world. As you can imagine, there have been extremely difficult times in our lives and this song has helped me through those times. A truly inspired song and it has blessed thousands in our concerts..but most of all, blessed me in my time of worship! Thank you Gary for responding to this blog and also for sharing your gifts!

• fuzz
    November 25th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Jenn, thank you for sending your comment in — while we know that nothing in the world happens by chance, it never ceases to amaze me that a little piece of paper that was passed over to me many years ago in Jakarta, Indonesia by an ex-colleague, which I then retyped, travelled along with me to Australia.

It’s certainly a testimony of how you can reap and continue to be a blessing years and years after! Thank you again, Gary!

Galatians 6:9 (NLT) “So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.”

• Antoinette Lievers Hobelman
    September 3rd, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I’vejust searched for the lyrics of this song and came accross your blogpost. I also know this Poem as a song. For many years (more than 30 years I think) I had a casette tape on wich this song was sung 🙂 I did not know all the words, but thanks to You Now I know!! greetings from the Netherlands!

• mariol
    January 8th, 2013 at 11:54 am

I only know of the chorus, but it’s always playing in my mind, now is the only time i found the lyrics, thank you all for the effort of putting this on the net

• fuzz
    January 8th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

@Antoinette, @mariol: Thank you for sending through your comments. I’m still amazed that this post has blessed so many people, thanks to Gary’s great encouraging words!

I still haven’t found anybody who has posted the song online as yet.

• Antoinette Lievers Hobelman
    April 4th, 2013 at 12:46 am

Here I am again 🙂
    I’ve found the Casette Tape with a song of these words.
    due to the age of the casette is the sound very crappy.
    I Uploaded it to You Tube, but only people with the link can listen.
    this is the URL: http://youtu.be/Jsw4gm6Cjzs
    I hope Ive helped you with this 🙂
    Best Regards,
    Antoinette

• fuzz
    April 4th, 2013 at 8:42 am

Wow – thank you Antoinette! Now I can listen to the songs!

God bless!!! 🙂

• Rita
    June 20th, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I sang this in the early 80’s as a missionary with Eurasia Teen Challenge, and it’s never left my heart. I have my original Myrrh Music Song Book with the full printed music and lyrics in good condition. I would be glad to scan those 4 pages and share. I would also be willing to record an Audacity file (mp3 convertible). Certainly these would only be for your personal use and not for reproduction or profit. You can reach me at Missions_4Him@yahoo.com.

• Alden
    January 13th, 2014 at 11:52 am

Thanks for posting this. I’ve been looking for this song. I sung a lot in the early 90’s while struggling with health. I tried to open the youtube link posted by Antoinette above but it’s private, I wonder if you could connect me to her. @Antoinette, would you please grant me access to your youtube link or perhaps you could make this one public, I’m sure that a lot of people will be blessed by it. Thanks and God bless everyone

• Smy
    March 28th, 2014 at 3:01 am

I grew up listening to our young people sing this and I’m so happy to have finally found the lyrics. THanks for posting this. I hope I can find an mp3 or digital version somewhere… 🙂

• David
    May 16th, 2014 at 10:40 pm

While I was listening to a sermon and this song was sung. Found this blog searching for sheet music for it.

Here is the link to the sermon and song.

If someone can email me the sheetmusic I would be very grateful.

dkoliadko@gmail.com

David

• waylan (Bob)Smith
    June 5th, 2014 at 12:29 am

I purchased this sound track at a christian book store in Butler Pa. in 1981. I had been a singer for about 10 years at that time and loved singing this one..I still have the tape but have been trying to find a clean version of the music. The quality of the music is not very good. I have retired and have been singing again as of late and I have to say that this is one of my favorite songs I never forgot the words because they applied to my life over the years Thank you Gary, for the awesome song. Word published the sound trac I called them and they no longer have it. God Bless you all.

• Steve DeVane
    July 4th, 2015 at 1:33 am

I am familiar with song because I saw the Sharetts in concert several times when I was in college in the early 1980s. Loved it then and now.