“The sky is falling!”

Chicken Little

So says Chicken Little, when an acorn falls on his head according to a well-known fable.

I’ve been mulling over the decision whether I should stay with my current company or accept the payout (which is not overly fantastic but still, it’s 13 weeks’ worth of pay!!) and look for a job externally. I have sent a couple of applications to several companies, with at least one making a contact already. Internally I’m going to an interview on Friday for a job that I applied last week. The position is virtually similar to what I am doing now but with a stronger focus on financial modelling and product portfolio.

Personally, I am so ready to head out and if I can make my decision based on emotions and mental state, I would definitely make my exit, take the package and go. I’ve been telling my workmates that I was at 65% going and 35% staying. However, having read some news articles lately, I realise that I can’t make my decisions based on internal reasons only. So, I’ve been pushed by external factors to stay with my current company: keep my head down and face the incoming storm head on. My 65% is slowly dropping, not because I want to, but because it’s the safest choice for me considering the situation at the moment.

Consider this – oil prices is still high and will only increase in the future, food scarcity is getting common across many countries with some even banning food exports to protect their domestic consumption. Food scarcity is happening in many parts of the world. In Australia  consumer confidence has slipped to 16 year low, thanks to the exorbitant petrol prices, slowing economyhigh interest rate and high inflation. Thankfully Australian economy is cushioned by its geographical isolation and the booming mining sector. However, if the global economy does contract significantly, there may be a massive impact on the job market as well. If I do make my move outside of the company and join an external company, I may be impacted by such event in the near future. In which case, the pay-out figure will not be able to sustain me for a long period, and I may not even have any package from the new company if they have to dismiss me as well.

So with that considered, I am seriously thinking of staying and weathering the incoming storm. If the storm does impact me in the future, at least hopefully the pay-out will be even bigger then. I will give my final answer on Monday whether I’ll be staying or going – so if you’re reading this, you may want to consider me in your prayers so that I make a wise decision!

There is a Bible passage that gives me strength though, regardless what will happen in the future – from Psalm 34:8-10 (NKJV). 🙂

Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
Oh, fear the LORD, you His saints!
There is no want to those who fear Him.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger;
But those who seek the LORD shall not lack any good thing.

Published by fuzz

I've finally relented to the lures of blogging - and for those who care, well, I'm a self-confessed geek who's a wanderer at heart, who thinks and analyses too much, and who's trying hard to hold on to his 7-year old inner persona.

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *