Midnight rambling

Swollen eye


It’s been a while since I posted my rambling here … It’s a balmy night in Adelaide and I can hear the wind rustling the leaves outside my study. It’s going to be a hot day in Adelaide tomorrow with the forecast temperature of 37C. Summer is definitely at the door. It’s 31 minutes past midnight. Indy is asleep nearby – I just heard him sigh, I know that he’s waiting for me to call it a day so he can go to sleep with us.

My left eye is still bugging me – it’s getting better, but it’s still very itchy. It started on Thursday when I felt my left eye a tad itchy at work. On Friday, the eyelid was swollen already, although the eye itself was clear. On Saturday, I could barely open my eyes that I had to tilt my head back to drive so I could get a stereo vision. I also had to wear my sunnies around, at the barbeque organised by church and even in Ikea afterwards. I didn’t mind being thought as a jerk as it was probably better than giving them a fright with my look. Haha.

By Sunday, I was already losing patience – I had a lot of work to do and my eye was really bugging me. So before I went to church, Yani and I stopped by at the Walk-In Clinic nearby. I knew that I would have to pay quite a lot – especially since (a). It was the weekend; and (b). It wasn’t a normal GP. The doctor who saw me made a comment that I looked like Quasimodo (The Hunchback of Nortre Dame – if you’re not familiar with the name). I don’t blame him *grin*. I could easily be asked to appear in an Asian street-fighting flick, as the guy who was punched in the face. He said that I had a bacterial infection that made my eyelid all swollen up. The eye remained clear, but as a precaution, he also prescribed me some eye ointment just to keep it clear. He also made me drink an antibiotic, an antihistamine, and a steroid to reduce the swelling before I left the clinic. At least by the end of the day, the swelling was already subsided – just like the doctor predicted. He said that by the end of the day, the swelling would probably reduce by 50%.

Today, the swelling continued to reduce but I still look rather alarming so rather than spooking my colleagues at work, I stayed at home and continue my medication regime. As much as I don’t like taking antibiotics, I want to regain my normal look pronto *grin*.

Health is certainly the topic in my family recently – with Mum having to deal with eye problem and all the things that come to you as you get on with aging. My eldest sister was also diagnosed with cancer recently so she had to undergo a series of chemotherapy. It will be great to see her when I return to Indonesia next month for my niece Irene’s wedding. This will be the first second generation wedding in our family – so I’m sure that it will be a happy day for my eldest sister as well. My second brother-in-law was also recently diagnosed with prostate cancer – so he also had to undergo a series of radiation starting today. As you get on with life, this is just the fact that you need to face – that people around you will start to experience all the things that come with getting older. Sickness, weakness, and whatever else. My annoying but trivial eye condition and what my sister and my brother-in-law are experiencing serve as a reminder for me that I shouldn’t take anything for granted. My breath, my ability to see, feel, taste, hear, smell are all blessings. Everyday, there are people who lose their ability to see, hear, smell, or walk as they get up in the morning. There are those who breathe their last breath. Everything is a blessing.

So, I am looking forward to coming back to Indonesia for a holiday next month. It’s been a busy and tough couple of months at work – with projects to do that are increasingly cerebral. I enjoy the challenges, but it does mean that I get mentally weary by the end of the period.  As much as I enjoy working and moving from one intellectual challenge and responsibility to the next, I know that I have to have the discipline to TOTALLY pause and exhale. At least when I am in Indonesia, the erratic internet connection will help moderate the temptation for me to continue working while I am on leave *grin*.

This will be my first trip back to Indonesia in three years. Time certainly flies. The last time I was there was when we lost Dad in 2011. It’s time to meet Mum, my siblings, my nieces and nephews and just enjoy the culture that I grew up with. However, it’s hard for me to say that I’m “going back home” to Indonesia, as I feel that Adelaide is home now. I have dropped my anchor here. That said, I know my roots and I won’t forget where I came from. I have my family, my friends, the food that I love and grow up with, the language, the culture, and everything that has helped to shape me into the man that I am now.

And I am grateful.


Published by fuzz

I've finally relented to the lures of blogging - and for those who care, well, I'm a self-confessed geek who's a wanderer at heart, who thinks and analyses too much, and who's trying hard to hold on to his 7-year old inner persona.

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *