A one-legged man in a butt-kicing contest


It’s been a while since I wrote a real blog piece, rather than movie reviews or random tidbits of information. The main reason is that I am getting frantically busy with my study – one of my supervisors will be starting her maternity leave soon so she wants me to finish the bulk of my writing this month. Thanks to the added pressure, the chapters on Research Method are now pretty much done, although I still need to edit them extensively before I can pass them to the next supervisor for another round of modification and editing.  So this week, just like my distant ‘student’ years, I had been going to bed at 1.30am and even at 4.30am, so I could finish the writing and then tackling the data at the same time. Unfortunately, my body reminded me that I’m no spring chicken anymore so I got up on Friday with a sore throat with a voice that was barely there. I sent an email that I would be staying at home to rest and ended up spending most of the day sleeping than being awake. Indy accompanied me in bed, sleeping at my feet. Bless his wet nose. 🙂

Today I’m still feeling pretty weak so I stayed in bed longer but got up at around 11am anyway (I know, very late, eh?) so I could get ready for my weekly prayer meeting. Yani didn’t join us as she had to work from 9.30am – 4.00pm. Afterwards, the group from the prayer meeting had lunch at Chinatown as usual. I drove up to Marden after I finished my lunch to pick Yani up and then both of us ended up taking a nanna nap in the living room. When I got up from my nap, it was still bright outside so I took Indy for a short walk so I could give him a bath at the dog-wash near South Road. At least it is still quite a productive day.

My throat is still hurting but at least it doesn’t affect my spirit much. It’s good to be quiet and not to talk much, I suppose. Haha. 🙂 The only thing that I don’t like is that this lurgy is making me quite weak – all I want to do is sleep and I really can’t afford not doing any work when there are so many things that I need to do. My friend Hershel once remarked that he was “as busy as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest” – must be one of those Texan saying. Haha. Well, I am feeling like that at the moment, I am as frantic as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest! 😮

At least tonight I managed to finish the coding for some of my data – with the help of a Research Assistant at work. After he did the coding, I converted them to text files, ready for the next steps in the analysis. I also managed to do the changes to one of the Research Method chapter. The rest of the work can wait until tomorrow, I suppose. It’s already 1:09am and my body is demanding that I should go to sleep again. I have been drinking luo han guo as well for my sore throat – I hope it will go soon as I really can’t afford to be sick! Another week in Adelaide and then I will have to go to Perth for the ANZMAC (Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy) conference. By the time that I return to Adelaide, I will have to continue my work and do as much as possible before the Christmas period. Somehow I think I will probably need to work during the two weeks to knock off the major parts of my thesis. Although I am getting really frantic, I really can’t afford to feel negative about the amount of work or the stress level. I know that if I start to give in to those thoughts, they will only drag me down further – away from what I need to achieve! So yeah, I’m soldiering on! 🙂 This year is certainly one of the ‘interesting’ years of my life!

Time to catch some shut-eye, I suppose. Good night, world! :zzz:

Published by fuzz

I've finally relented to the lures of blogging - and for those who care, well, I'm a self-confessed geek who's a wanderer at heart, who thinks and analyses too much, and who's trying hard to hold on to his 7-year old inner persona.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *